Thursday, July 1, 2010

Reasons Revisited in Rome


So, I've only been in Europe for a few days, but I already know that I'm not happy with the way I've been experiencing it. I've been to Venice, and currently I'm in Rome. I've met many different people (traveling, like myself) and they all seem to have a purpose for being in Europe. Most of the time, it's to see the tourists sites. Rarely is it to "just to get away." I, however, decided to travel abroad to immerse myself in many different cultures. That's not the way it's worked out thus far.

Instead of immersing myself in different cultures, I've found myself searching for something to serve as a purpose for my trip. I realize that my trip to Europe wasn't planned well, but that was done (rather, not done) intentionally. As most of you who read my blog know, my only brother died this past November. His death was extremely difficult for my family to deal with. I felt as though I had to stay strong for my family, and because of that, I didn't have time to grieve. A few weeks ago, I felt as though the grieving process had just started for me (though, I'm not sure anyone really knows when it starts or ends). By that time, I had already planned my current trip to Europe. Nonetheless, after the grieving process started, I knew the Europe trip would be a great opportunity to simply "get away" for a bit.

So, my reason for this entry is to remind myself of the purpose for the solo part of my Euro-trip. This trip is not about seeing the tourists sites, nor is it about "taking full advantage" of my time in Europe. Rather, this trip is about me (as selfish as it sounds) finding a peace of mind, learning to deal with the loss of my brother, and deciding how I want to live my life as I enter my last year of school. Now, that I've revisited my purpose, here's to a more purposeful time in Europe.


Carpe Diem,

Rafa

1 comment:

  1. Rafael,
    Praying that you have a great time seeping in the beautiful creation that was given to us by our Creator! Keep the blogs coming!

    ReplyDelete